Houston Safari Club is dedicated to preserving the future of conservation through youth mentoring programs and education.
Every year young people who meet the HSC youth program criteria are nominated to participate in our program by adult representatives. These adults also serve as chaperons for the duration of the outing. One of our most successful annual youth outdoor programs introduces several Houston area boys and girls, from local schools and groups, to sport hunting, fishing and wilderness conservation.
The hunting groups are small by design, consisting of four to six young people and their adult guides. Limited numbers allow for more thorough hunter or outdoor education and in-depth instruction. Young hunters learn about various conservation efforts by hunting on sponsor ranches that must harvest an abundance of animals in order to maintain their specific wildlife management program. Many different youth hunting, fishing and outdoor experiences are sponsored by HSC.
For hunting events, hunter safety is priority one and each participant is monitored by a responsible adult guide, who is in complete control of their assigned firearm at all times. In addition, the hunters are taken to a firing range to practice with an identical or similar rifle prior to entering the field. The goal is for every hunt to prove successful, with all youth hunters harvesting an animal and coming away from the program with a lifelong respect for wildlife conservation.
Qualification Criteria For HSC’s Youth Hunting Program:
- Must hold a current hunting license.
- Must be currently enrolled and actively participating in school or scout group.
- Must have passing grades as documented by school or scout sponsor.
- Must have a good discipline record.
- Must come from a non-hunting background with no prior hunting experience or a first-time hunter.
- Must have submitted a signed HSC Release of Liability prior to hunting.
- Must be 12-18 years of age.
- Must have attended Hunter Safety Training prior to hunt.
- Must attend HSC pre-hunt orientation with shooting practice at the host ranch.
- Must present themselves with a neat appearance.
- Must not bring any personal firearms or ammunition
(pocket knives acceptable if shown to sponsor on arrival for hunt).
ENTER THE HOUSTON SAFARI CLUB ESSAY CONTEST FOR THE CHANCE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE 2018 HSC SPORTING CLAYS TOURNAMENT!
HSC is offering 4 lucky winners the chance to participate in the 2018 Annual Sporting Clays Tournament.
The 2018 Houston Safari Club Essay Contest is open to all students (“Authors”), ages 13-18. Essays written by minors must be submitted by a parent or legal guardian (“Author Sponsor”) on behalf of the minor.